Oh Punk

Oi to the world...

One of the best parts of this season is the music, specially Christmas music.

Sure the old classics are great, but there's something about pop christmas music. It's so catchy! And it transends so many cultures. Remember, No Doubt's performance of Oi to the World?

This song tells the story of an Indian Sikh punk fan named Hadji who gets in a fight with a skinhead named Trevor on Christmas Eve. In the end both characters reconcile and the song turns into a tale of peace and holiday unity.

How could you hate this -- the video is just so awesome:



I decided to troll YouTube looking for my favourite pop Christmas videos. Here they are:

"Please Come Home for Christmas" - Bon Jovi

Although it's a cover, I genuinley like this song. Man, I'd give almost anything to be Bon Jovi in this video! Seriously, Cindy Crawford still OWNS. I remember being mesmorized by this commercial back in the day...


"Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" - *NSYNC

Whatever. It's catchy, don't lie... "Merry Christmas and Happy Hol-i-days!"


"All I want for Christmas is You" - Mariah Carey

The minute they played this song back in 1994, it was an instant classic. The video is really cute, and whenever you hear it on the radio -- it's a sign that you better start your shopping! On a side note, my friend John and I were talking about who we would rather sleep with: Cassie or Mariah Carey. John went with Cassie, obviously because of her great youthful singing talents (Obviously!). All I'm saying is the smart pick would've been MC. Think about it John. Five years from now when you're in a bar with some colleagues and you drop a "So you know I slept with back in 2006? Cassie!" -- they'll all be like "Who???" Do you think they're going to remember this video? If you're looking for *props* looks like Mariah Carey is the way to go.


Santa Baby (Gimme Gimme Gimme) - Willa Ford

Most of you know her from that Dancing with the Stars show, but she used to be a pop singer back in the early 2000s too. Remember this? Playboy readers may remember this (that Playboy link is definitely *NOT* work safe)


"Last Christmas" - WHAM

George Michael sings his heart out about how some biatch dumped his ass last Christmas. That sorta happened to me a while back. In retrospect, the girl is a complete loser and with someone who's just at her level with no real future. It's actually quite funny to me.


"8 Days of Christmas" - Destiny's Child

Damn gold diggers. This video totally reminds me of this ungrateful girl I dated (another one). At Christmas, despite being a student, I bought her some expensive clothes. One of the pieces -- a skirt -- wasn't to her liking so I returned it to the store. Can you believe the girl called me asking me where her replacement present was to that piece of her gift? She even took it further and demanded that I give her the cash equivalent of the skirt. It was her "right" -- seriously...


"Perfect Christmas" - S Club 7

I like this song too, it's sweet :) Awww, this is such a play-for-your-girlfriend type of song (None of the two girls listed before of course!). My only question is where do S-Club's British accents go when they sing?



"Christmas in Da Hollis" - Run DMC

This song is so cheasy, it's good. Featured back in the original Die Hard this track has such an awesome beat. Duuuuun-dudda-dunh!


"This Gift" - 98 Degrees

Just a nice Christmas song... Here's to Nick Lachey missing that Jessica Simpson money!



"The Chanukah Song" - Adam Sandler

When you fee like the only kid in town without a Christmas tree.. here's a list of people that are Jewish, just like you and me... (Still so wicked!)


Now some of you may be like myself. You may have gone through this post and been like WHAM? There are two guys in that band? George Michael is one, who's the other? Well guess no longer, his name is Andrew Ridgeley. Thank you Wikipedia...

Tags:

There are 4 comments:



At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Greg said...

Not a bad list. You missed a few that I like:

Christmas, Baby Please Come Home - U2 - Also a cover, but almost all of them are.
A Great Big Sled - The Killers - a brand new and original song...

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Shaun said...

You're right -- that U2 song is GREAT! Lemme look it up:

U2 - It's Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)


A couple more that I like...

Boyz II Men - Let it Snow

TLC - Sleighride


I refuse to link to that Paul McCarthney song and/or Billy Idol one! Any other ones that I miss?

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Blondie said...

oh Shaun, what will we do with you? Are you sure there's no Vengaboys Christmas Album?

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Shaun said...

I'm sure there exists some sort of Vengaboys Christmas Album, but...........

 

Post a Comment


Return to main page







.