Oh Punk

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall...

Frig. After chilling out for a year, I finally got up off my butt and started painting, decorating and furnishing my place. A couple weeks ago I bought this massive and heavy mirror.

Dimensionally, the mirror is 5ft by 4ft, and weighed easily over 100lbs -- probably more.

As the man at the store said "Like oh my God, this mirror is like really, really, really heavy...

Can you imagine mounting this thing on drywall? A bad installation means a giant hole in the drywall, huge damage to the hardwood floor and not to mention death to the mirror. Last time I checked, it was 7 years bad luck for breaking a mirror.

But I'm pretty sure somewhere along the way, the Karma gods revised their policy on mirrors and applied an accelerator factor for mirrors over 4 sq ft in size. So in theory the breakage of a this 20 sq ft mirror may result in something like 35 years of bad luck. Darn Karma gods...

Unfortunately the mirror was un-returnable, so we had no choice but to give it a try. I enlisted the help of my dad...


Above: First, gather all your tools, hardware and beer...



Above: Use a stud detector to find the studs (if possible). Line up an inverse mitred mounting bracket with the centre stud, and start drilling holes.



Above: Holes that don't have a stud behind them can be stuffed with these space aged heavy duty spider drywall anchors. They're crazy. Only thing is, once you install them and deploy the arms behind them, they ain't coming out. The next owner of my condo is getting twelve of these bad boys in their wall -- suckers.



Above: See? Pretty ugly?



Above: Worry not. Once the anchors were in place, the bracket was screwed in, and voila! Now I have like 200 other things that I have to do around the house.

Tags:

There are 6 comments:



At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Amber said...

That looks really beautiful. I have an enormous mirror that is sitting around my house and I am afraid to put it up because my house doesn't have drywall. Nope it's so old that it's all plaster walls so if I screw it up, I'm really screwed. I'd like to try to get it on the wall - Is that really secure??? As far as bad luck goes, I've had my share for the next few years!!

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Shaun said...

Thanks for the compliment on the mirror :) I saw it, and just had to buy it -- plus -- I got a stellar deal on it.

As for plaster... hmmm... be careful, do some research at Home Depot or online. I'm not quite sure those hollow-drywall anchors would work well in plaster!

Did you consider alternate methods of keeping the mirror up? Maybe leaning it from the floor if it's long enough?

ps. I don't wants ANY mirror bad luck :(

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Amber said...

Yeah, it's definitely not long enough to be leaning it - plus I have quite a few critters that would be squished if it happened to slide and fall on them (the dogs'd be ok they're big enough but the cats would be hamburger!)I'd really like to get it on the wall - I'll see how it works. Thanks for the idea - if I get it done I'll send pics.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Shaun said...

Make sure you do your research before mounting it on the wall though! Heaven forbid it break (and/or damage your wall)

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Amber said...

Or crush critters!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Shaun said...

Well critters yes... but... the wall is harder to replace (jk jk)

 

Post a Comment


Return to main page







.