Oh Punk

From Dusk 'til Dawn

There aren't many Saturday nights that I find myself at home alone. This past Saturday was no different. The options? Dinner with a smoking hot model-type girl and/or hitting a trendy downtown lounge with friends.


After getting dressed sooner than expected, I found myself with an hour to kill. It was the perfect time to test out my new super computer!


I recently moved from a Mesozoic Era Pentium 4 to an 8 GB Quad Core system complete with SLI'd video cards. Overkill for e-mail, Facebook and YouTube -- however, not all was a waste -- I did by a game, Red Alert 3:






I have been a huge RTS gamer since a bunch of Russian mobsters intro'd me to Red Alert back in 1997, although I haven't put in any serious gaming hours since 2003. Why?


When I play RTS games, I get completely immersed.

Nothing else matters. Not even my GGR636 exam. Yeah, that's right -- I skipped the exam to defend the Western Hemisphere from commie bastards. What's wrong with that? Nothing according to $45 and a medical certificate signed by my doctor. Plus it was an elective, and only Geography. Who majors in Geography? Really?


But that was then and this is now. The difference between 2003 and 2009 is that I'm 30 years old. I am officially an adult. I have will power.

I installed the game at 9pm and gave myself a time limit of forty-five minutes. And that's what I did.


WOW is all I can say! Games have come a LONG way from where they were in 2003. The shading, the special effects, and the explosions. I was literally blown away!


Time ran out quickly and it was time to meet up with my friend for dinner. I shut down my PC, and left my den to grab my phone...


... before I even made it to my phone, it hit me: Sunlight.


The forty-five minutes that I spent playing was actually 9.5 hours!!!

And the worst part? My cell was on silent so I had SEVERAL missed calls. Ugh! I've never gone a gaming rampage like this. Now I know how kids in Asia keep dying from lack of sleep due to RTS games.

Not all was lost though. At least the Emperor's Floating Battle fortress was mucled by my relentless fleet of Vindicators. Kane, I'm coming for you next.





Tags:

There are 4 comments:



At 6:49 AM, Blogger Lil Lex said...

I'm lifting my ban on your blog. Command and Conquer ain't going to prep you for Starcraft II.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger chinwhat said...

dont you mean 'from dusk til dawn?'

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger OhPunk! said...

Lex: F you guy. One on One ISO on launch day.

Chin: I sure did. LAUGH! Fixed!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Rubex Cube said...

9.5 hours! Damn that is messed up

 

Post a Comment


Return to main page







.